Letting the blood rush to my head, I lie upside down tracing the ribs along my stomach. Each one, my fingers grazed; with each one, I saw another face. One human, one person, one someone, has to live like this everyday, without the food filling their stomach. Forever seeing the bones protrude from the skin, forever wondering when the food will come.
From the constant reminder of hunger, I'm learning how precious food really is. I would have never known how much food keeps you going through the day. I would have never known the empty feeling craving for a tiny bit of sustenance.
I walked through the kitchen after my brother ate dinner and I casually cast my eyes upon the leftovers. When it registered what was left on the plate, I had an emotional response. It wasn't disgusting anymore. Instead I saw the food as edible and completely wasted. Before I knew it, my mom was dumping it down the trash. That is what disgusted me.
I'm no longer taking food for granted. If I don't want to finish it, I'm saving it. I can't hop on a plane and feed everyone right now, but I can at least do this.
No comments:
Post a Comment