
I don't know if it is possible to realize what a distraction hunger can be unless it has been truly experienced. I don't know if it is possible to understand the way the clutches of an empty stomach can consume every bit of life unless the reality has been upon you.
I've never fasted before. I've never felt the necessity to do it.
The other day I read of some choosing to going on a three day fast for Darfur. At first, I thought that the idea was cool. I thought that the people doing this were pretty cool too. Yet, as I read the blogs of each day of the fast, I started to really feel. There is a girl somewhere else with eyes, a mouth, a brain, a mother, maybe a sister just like I have; however, when I have a satisfied stomach, this girl's stomach is crying for just a little nutrients.
This is why I'm doing this: I want to feel something near the same pains as this girl, as this girl's baby brother, even if it is on a small scale.
I've barely made it through my first day and already I'm having difficulties. The distraction that hunger leaves is a hard one to escape. It isn't bad now, but I believe that soon it'll start to consume me. It'll eat away my energy, my focus, my motivation; the thoughts gnawing apart any comfort I lived in. I hope to finish this with more than the knowledge that this is real for people everyday.
It's only in taking on the problem that one can, without a question, understand.
No comments:
Post a Comment